Five years ago, on June 12 to be more precise, DC Entertainment made a deal with comic book retailers and bookstores across the United States to give away free copies of All-Star Superman #1 Special Edition in honor of the Superman Day, then known as Men of Steel Day.
This was a marketing move, as the movie Men of Steel was about to be released on the big screen soon after (on June 14, 2013).
Superman was created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster in 1933, but the Superman we know and love today only appeared in Action Comics #1 in 1938. The superhero had such a big success that he got his own comic book in the following year.
Born on the planet Krypton, Kal-El was sent to Earth as an infant by his scientist father Jor-El moments before Krypton's destruction.
He was found and adopted by a family of farmers from Kansas who named the boy Clark Kent. When Clark started to discover his powers, his adoptive parents instilled strong moral values in him.
His powers give him super-strength, speed, x-ray vision and heat vision, the ability to fly, as well as invulnerability. Reaching adulthood, he assumes the identity of Superman in order to help humanity.
Clark Kent will grow up to become a journalist for Daily Planet, in Metropolis, and fall in love with Lois Lane, a fellow journalist.
He becomes an icon, and even has his own distinct catchphrase: "Look, up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane, it's Superman".
His costume is also easy to recognize; the red and yellow S in a shield emblem on the chest and the red cape stand out everywhere.
Quotes About the Man Of Steel To Help You Celebrate Superman Day 2018
- “You’re much stronger than you think you are, trust me.”
- “It’s not an S, on my world, it means hope.”
- “Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us.”
- “I believe in second chances, I believe in redemption, but, mostly, I believe in my friends.”
- “The ‘Amazing’ can only be created by facing fear, risk, and failure during the process.”
- “So many of our dreams seem impossible, they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will they soon become inevitable.”
- “There is a superhero in all of us, we just need the courage to put on the cape.”
- “You will be different, sometimes you’ll feel like an outcast, but you’ll never be alone.”
- “The only way to know how strong you are is to keep testing your limits.”
- “I’m here to fight for truth and justice.”
You can also celebrate this day by attending special events, host a Superman Theme party for your friends, or you can become Superman for a day and volunteer to help those in need.
You could also treat yourself with a Superman Action Figure. This way, you'll always have a hero close by to help you with your daily struggles.